Attendees: Kieran Taylor, Blaine Pickett, Kayde Lemley, Becky Sniffen, Colleen Gibbs, Trish Dorr,
Berit Larson, Anna Houppermans, Deltra Ferguson, Sherri Cellini, Mia Driscoll, Glenna Stiles, Jessica
Leidall, Meredith Paige, Susan Hunt
Kieran called meeting to order. Introduction of all attendees.
Approval of previous minutes:
Corrections: Incorrect date – change to 26th. Add Becky and Matt Sniffen as coordinator of Science
Fair. Misspelling of “Hering”.
Colleen requested input regarding the best way to disseminate PTA meeting information (earlier
feedback was that some members prefer detailed minutes, others prefer shorter summary). It was
decided that this year’s minutes will be summarized in email to members, with a link to the full
minutes on PTA web page.
New Oregon rule: School members cannot collect money or email re collecting money, so this will
affect the way things are done throughout the year.
• Glenna will get further clarification of what’s acceptable under this new rule, and will talk to
other principals to see how other schools are doing fundraising notices in light of new law.
• For classroom money collections, Sherri suggested children put money into shoebox and
PTA member collects.
• Kayde proposed a questionnaire that asks parents if their email can be included in a PTA
directory, and be included in school fundraising emails.
PTA EVENTS PLANNING DISCUSSION:
• Because of the amount of confidential information that must be input by a school employee,
the directory cannot be completed until October, according to Malinda.
• Malinda has offered to work on weekends to get it done sooner if she gets paid. Mia asked if
PTA can hire Malinda. Would need to find out if PTA allowed to spend funds that way and
need cost estimate.
• It was decided that classroom liasons facilitate a class list for each class until directory can
be completed without additional cost. Kayde will add this to list of classroom liason
Update by Jessica Leidall:
• Signage done, Needs many volunteers for events. Feedback from attendees is to expect
about 75 parents for Yahoo.
• Mia requested helpers to herd parents from classrooms to coffees.
• Set‐up scheduled for day prior and early morning day of.
• Portable PA system needed for both coffees, and school PA announcement by Glenna.
• Colleen will set up PTA table with membership forms, stickers and new PTA information
sheets. Visa swipe reader will be available for membership, tshirts and library book
• As Volunteer Coordinator, Kayde will have sign‐up sheets at the Coffees for all PTA events.
• Kiley and Joe invited by Blaine but unable to attend PTA meeting, so further discussion
shelved until they can join.
• Suggestion made to move event month from May to March, but it was noted that due to the
ASF fundraiser in March, we are prohibited from doing so. Key work‐around dates: Prom ‐
May 4; May 27 ‐Memorial Day. Helman HoeDown:
• Becky says she is in good shape with plans.
• Sherri will help Becky with to‐do list since Alan Pierowski is busy at AMS.
• Phillip Krayna and JacquelineNewith wish to be involved.
• PTA set tentative date of Oct 6, 4‐7 pm, dependent upon Eagle Mill Farm’s availability. Mia
had already discussed Sept 29th with Ron at Eagle Mill. She will call Ron back re Oct 6 and
report to PTA.
• Many volunteers needed, lot of set up involved. Volunteer sheet will be added at Yahoo for
Sunday set up.
Walk/Bike to School:
• Blaine Pickett will help coordinate with Mark Sherbow, both Fall and Spring.
• Noted that Oct 3 is International Bike Day; start date and length to be determined. Program
was six weeks last year.
• Trish noted that the day got switched from Wed to Tues last year, and asked to consider
switching it back to “Walking Wednesdays”. Blaine believes his schedule can accomodate
and will verify.
• Berit questioned if this event has had any carry over impact, influencing children to
walk/bike on other days, as should be the goal. No definitive answer. Discussion followed
about how we can facilitate dialogue with children/parents to walk/bike on other days.
• Jessica suggested volunteer parents “collect” walker/biker children at dangerous crossing
points and escort them to school.
• Sherri pointed out that walking/biking to school results in creating community, just as
important as reducing green house gases and getting kids exercise. She suggests walk/bike
be promoted all year as a way for people to connect and build community.
• Mia suggested we have a walk/bike to school table at Coffees. Kayde will make the signs,
and Blaine will promote Walking Wednesdays at the Coffees.
• Mark Sherbow will reapply for the grant received last year. Pta supplies $60 toward snacks.
Becky suggested we approach Shop n Kart or Coop to donate fruit or “banana cards”. Blaine
will look into this.
• Date needed. Glenna suggested pushing Walkathon from Fall to Spring – potential to make
more money and avoid conflict with Plantathon.
• Mia suggested week of Feb 19‐22. Can hold in gym if rain, two peer classes at a time. Glenna
will ask Mr. H which date works best.
• Dominique wishes to turn over coordinator position.
• Scheduled for Nov 1 & 2. Will plan to have signs up in time for teacher conferences.
• Mia was asked if the Plantathon area will continue to expand. At a certain point, she noted
we will be maintaining, not expanding, the coverage area. The area has been expanded, but
are in a transition now to maintenance.
• Kayde asked about the PTA’s idea of developing a fundraising form which lists different
levels of sponsorship. Mia noted that Lomakatsi already developed this and has used in past
years. She will send Kayde the fundraiser form on file.
• To make the Plantathon successful, Mia would like the following help: a PTA member to
dress up as Henry carrying a tree and visiting classrooms on Halloween; signage (student
council members); attendees.
• Plantathon money due 31st of Oct, so parent liasons will send reminder to parents to send
Plantathon money to Halloween party.
• Update by Meredith:
• Website FlowerPower is a sophisticated online fundraising program which sends email to
parents, allowing them to forward to family/friends, facebook. Website tracks progress. PTA
realizes 50% profit. Bulbs shipped mid‐October. • Glenna noted that parent emails will not available until directory ready in October, and new
Oregon law prevents school from emailing a fundraising letter. Suggested we consider a
Spring Bulb sale.
• Blaine proposed a hard copy flyer for parents to get around the email and timing problem.
Becky noted that in previous years, families got envelope with catalog and order form.
• Meredith will look into options and report back re Fall vs Spring bulb sale.
• Meredith also noted other online fundraiser options if bulb sale not realized – suggested a
November holiday fundraiser, but attendees discouraged this due to other event conflicts.
• Bridget Bloch has agreed to coordinate the book swap again this year.
Helman Lending Library:
• Susan Hunt requested an update regarding the approved but not dispersed grant for the
Helman lending library.
• Treasurer Gus not present to address this question; Blaine said he will contact Gus and
respond to her.
Due to time constraints, decision made to table the discussion of library book program and Scrip
sales. Meeting adjourned.
Next PTA Meeting: Sept 18, 2012
• Meetings will be held the second Tuesday of month starting in October.